- Greensky Hill Indian Methodist Church-On Old US 31 N.
Highway off the Charlevoix-Boyne City Rd. approximately one-and-a-half
miles east of US 31. A Michigan Historic Site, this area was (and
still is) a sacred place to the Native Americans that Hemingway
wrote about in several of the Nick Adams stories, most notably "Indian
Camp," "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," "Ten Indians," "The Indians
Moved Away," and "Fathers and Sons."(1) Prudence
Boulton, who may have been the model for the character of Prudence
(Prudie) in "Ten Indians," and/or Trudy in "Fathers and Sons," is
said to be buried in an unmarked grave at Greensky. (2)
- Horton Bay General Store-on the Charlevoix-Boyne City Rd.
in the village of Horton Bay. Established in 1876, this store has
remained the center of business and social life in the village.(3)
Hemingway frequented the store as a boy and a young man. He described
it in the story "Up in Michigan," and it seems to be the model for
Mr. Packard's store in "The Last Good Country." Hemingway photos
and memorabilia are still displayed here.
- The Red Fox Inn-Adjacent to the Horton Bay General Store.
Built in 1878, this structure was one of the earliest homes in Horton
Bay. In 1919 it was converted to a restaurant, and soon became famous
for its family-style chicken dinners.(4) John
Kotesky, an area farmer who regularly supplied the Inn with fresh
vegetables, is remembered for having driven Hemingway and his new
bride, Hadley Richardson, from Horton Bay to Walloon Lake as they
began their honeymoon.(5) Ernest recalled this
drive in "On Writing." The Red Fox Inn is now home to a bookstore
that specializes in Hemingway titles and memorabilia.
- The Township School-A few hundred yards east of the Horton
Bay General Store and just west of the Horton Bay United Methodist
Church. The school stands across the road from what was the site
of the village blacksmith shop.(6) The school and
the blacksmith shop are mentioned in "Up in Michigan," while the
blacksmith shop also appears in "The Indians Moved Away."
- Pinehurst and Shangri-La-The first two dwellings on the
east side of Lake Street as it descends to the bay on Lake Charlevoix.
These spacious "cottages" were the heart of the Dilworth Resort
in Horton Bay. As a young man, Ernest often bunked in a shed at
the back of Pinehurst so he could see his Horton Bay friends and
enjoy "Aunty Beth" Dilworth's great cooking.(7) A
wedding "breakfast" was held at Pinehurst following Hemingway's
marriage to Hadley Richardson in Horton Bay on the afternoon of
September 3, 1921.(8) In Ernest's story "Summer People,"
Nick Adams appears to be staying at the Dilworth's, and "Up in Michigan"
refers to "Dillworth's house."
- Public access site and boat launch-on Lake Charlevoix at
the south end of Lake Street This spot affords an open view of the
bay, the woods and beach leading to Ten Mile Point, and the expanse
of Lake Charlevoix. Hemingway used this bay and its surroundings
as a setting in "The End of Something," "Summer People," "On Writing"
and "Up in Michigan." (9)
- Horton Creek access #1 - The creek flows under the Charlevoix/Boyne
City Road approximately one-half mile west of the village of Horton
Bay. As you approach the bridge over the creek, watch for a small
sign on the right (north) side of the road marking the Little Traverse
Conservancy's Rufus Teesdale Nature Preserve. Turn right into the
preserve, pull into the parking area, and follow the footpath to
the creek. Hemingway loved to fish for trout on Horton Creek.(10)
He refers to it in "The End of Something," "The Indians Moved Away"
and "On Writing," and it appears to be the model for the creek mentioned
repeatedly in "Summer People" and in the early pages of "The Last
Good Country." Also, in the "fictional memoir" True at First
Light, Hemingway describes his vivid memories of fishing at
the cider mill that was located on Horton Creek downstream from
the Charlevoix/Boyne City Road in an area that is now private property
and inaccessible to the public.
- The Charles Farm and Schulz Nature Preserve A right turn
(west) out of the Teesdale Preserve takes one across Horton Creek,
and in approximately two-tenths of a mile, on the right you can
observe the property that was once known as the Charles Farm.(11)
Hemingway had good friends who summered here, and he used this land
as the setting for "The Three Day Blow" and a major scene in "Summer
People." Follow along the property for three-tenths of a mile to
Pincherry Road. Turn right (north) on Pincherry Road, proceed for
just under two miles, and watch on your right (east) for a small
sign marking the Little Traverse Conservancy's Schulz Nature Preserve.
There is no parking area here, but there is room for one or two
vehicles to pull off the road. A web of well brushed out walking
trails takes one through second growth forest that is representative
of the northern Michigan woods Hemingway roamed as a boy and a young
man. If you continue on the trails that descend to the east, you
will come to Horton Creek in a secluded area that is reminiscent
of some of the country Hemingway described in "Big Two-Hearted River."
- Horton Creek access #2 From the Schulz Preserve, continue
north on Pincherry Road for seven- tenths of a mile and turn right
(east) on Church Road for three-tenths of a mile to Horton Creek.
Just before you reach the creek, on your left you will see a sign
identifying the Little Traverse Conservancy's Horton Creek Nature
Preserve. Parking is available on both sides of the road near the
creek crossing. Whether you look upstream or downstream, the creek
and terrain are very reminiscent of the country Hemingway and two
friends encountered along the east Branch of the Upper Peninsula's
Fox River during the 1919 camping trip that inspired "Big Two-Hearted
- Public access and boat launch on Sumner Road-Go southeast
of Horton Bay on the Charlevoix-Boyne City Rd. for approximately
one mile; turn left (due east) on Sumner Rd. and follow it to the
end. This site offers a panoramic view of Walloon Lake. In Hemingway's
"Wedding Day," it is the spot from which Nick Adams and his new
bride Helen begin their honeymoon by rowing across the lake to the
cottage where they will be staying-just as Hemingway and Hadley
Richardson did after their wedding.(12)
- Longfield Farm, where Grace Hall Hemingway had a cottage/studio
and the family had a sizeable garden, lay just to the southeast
of this public access. The dwelling remains, but rests on inaccessible
- Windemere, the Hemingway family cottage-On Lake Grove
Road. Recently remodeled and enlarged, this is now a year-round
home on private property. Please do not intrude! The original cottage
is a prominent part of Hemingway's "The Doctor and the Doctor's
Wife," "Ten Indians," "The Indians Moved Away," and "The Last Good
Country," and is also used in "Wedding Day" and "On Writing."(14)
- The "Indian Camp" -- Located on the north side of Indian
Garden Road at its junction with Resort Pike Road near Walloon Lake.
Two parcels of separately owned wooded property encompass the area
that once held at least one, and perhaps a second, Indian camp.
Hemingway drew on this area in creating the setting for his story
"Indian Camp." This is private property; do not trespass. (15)
- The Bacon Farm-a large parcel of land that is now mostly
wooded and is framed by Lake Grove Rd. on the south and Resort Pike
Rd. on the east. The Hemingway family acquired their Walloon Lake
property from the Bacons, and the families remained good friends.
Ernest used the Bacon farm extensively in "Ten Indians," "Fathers
and Sons" and "The Indians Moved Away." Its terrain and buildings
also appear to be utilized in "The Last Good Country." Again, this
is private property.(16)
- Little Traverse Historical Museum-Off Lake Street near
the Municipal Marina Built by the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad
in 1892, this building later served as the main area station of
the Pere Marquette Railroad, which Hemingway refers to in "The Indians
Moved Away" and his high school story, "Sepi Jingan."(17)
The station was converted to a museum in the 1960s, and
houses a permanent exhibit-and other materials-on Hemingway.
- Penn Plaza Station-Bay and Lewis Streets (now an office
complex) An important station on the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad,
this depot was rebuilt with brick in 1899 and became part of the
Pennsylvania Railroad in 1920.(18) The Hemingway family
passed through the station area on the "dummy" trains which carried
them from Harbor Springs to their summer cottage on Walloon Lake.(19)
When he was living in Petoskey during the winter of 1919-20, Ernest
may have walked to the station to look at the train schedules and
dream of trips he might take.(20) This station is
the likely model for the train station in Hemingway's The Torrents
of Spring, a parody set in the Petoskey area.
- The Perry Hotel-Corner of Bay and Lewis Streets Built
in 1899, this is the last of the original resort hotels in Petoskey.
Hemingway stayed here in 1916 after a hiking and camping trip in
northwest lower Michigan with his friend Lewis Clarahan.(21)
Beginning in 1990, the Perry Hotel served as headquarters for an
annual "Hemingway Weekend" sponsored by the Michigan Hemingway Society.
- Jesperson's Restaurant-312 Howard Street. Established
in 1903, this Petoskey favorite is noted for its home-style cooking
and delicious pies.(22) Jesperson's was said to be
a favorite hangout of Hemingway and his Petoskey friend Dutch Pailthorp.
- The Flatiron Building-313 Howard Street. This building
was once home to McCarthy's Barber Shop, where the young Hemingway
may have gone for a shave or haircut, but definitely enjoyed the
banter of the patrons.(23)
- The City Park Grill-432 East Lake Street A Petoskey landmark
that was constructed in 1879. Hemingway is reported to have enjoyed
playing billiards here and watching the bare-knuckle boxing matches
that were held in the nearby park during the warm months.(24)
- The Harold Grant Building-210 Howard Street. In the early
1900's this building was home to the New Braun Hotel and Restaurant,
which appears to have been the model for "Brown's Beanery: Best
by Test" in The Torrents of Spring.(25)
- The Carnegie Building--451 East Mitchell Street. For many
years this building was the location of the Petoskey Public Library,
but now it archives special collections and serves a center for
community activities. The original Library was a favorite haunt
of Hemingway's when he was living in Petoskey during the winter
of 1919-20. In December of 1919 he spoke here to the Ladies Aid
Society about his experiences in World War I (26)
- Potter's Rooming House-602 E. State Street Hemingway rented
an upstairs room here during the winter of 1919-20 and worked hard--but
without success--at writing fiction.(27)
1. Evelyn Hall -- on the campus of the Bay
View Conservatory. During the winter of 1919-1920, Hemingway found
his writing efforts were sometimes interrupted too much by well-meaning
friends. To guarantee his privacy, he is reported to have occasionally
"escaped" to a small room (equipped with a wood burning
stove) in Evelyn Hall, a women's dormatory that was unoccupied during
Harbor Springs Train Station-On W. Bay Street
near the Municipal Marina When the Hemingway family came north from
Chicago by steamship to spend the summer at Windemere cottage, they
disembarked in Harbor Springs and transferred their luggage and
other belongings to the nearby train station, where it was loaded
on a "dummy" train to begin the journey to Petoskey and Walloon